Monday, March 11, 2013

Smoothies

Everyone likes smoothies. Many years ago I reigned as smoothie queen, of course only in my own household. ;)
They are so easy, quick, delicious & very good for you t'boot!

I do often run through the grey area between smoothies & milk shakes though.
Here's my smoothie recipe run-down:

Always start with frozen bananas,
Then add 1 or 2 other frozen fruits;
strawberries
raspberries
blackberries
blueberries
pineapple
peaches
mango
papaya
kiwi
You get the idea. Any kind of fruit is good, but I always freeze them first.

Choose a liquid base,
milk or cream, (regular, soy, coconut, almond or rice & then vanilla or reg flavor)
juice, (orange, mango, pineapple, peach, or any combination of these flavors)

Then an individual size container of yogurt,
vanilla, or any flavor you like.

Protein powder can be added to make this more like a meal replacement shake.

Notes:
I don't measure anything, so it just goes:
1 or 2 frozen bananas broken up into a blender container. I like making them in canning jars. The blender's blade assembly fits perfectly.
Add a handful or two of other frozen fruit(s), a container of yogurt, protein powder, if using & just enough liquid to be able to blend it smooth.
Blend it all up for a yummy, creamy drink! Enjoy!



The fine line between shakes & smoothies is when I add the cream & ice cream or sherbet into the mix.
When my girls were little their pediatrician advised me to add extra calories into their diets because they were too thin. She said to do this by adding cream, butter & ice cream when ever & where ever possible.
I have to tell ya, fat adds flavor, but it also packs an unhealthy fat-calorie punch if you're watching your weight!
Unless added calories is the goal, leave out the cream stuff & you're good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment